Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Logos

As I was thinking for something to use for my logos, I decided to pick an object that would hold true to "Everything's an Argument" , that everything can be an argument. As I glanced to the ground, I saw pack of lights bulbs that I had recently bought. Highlighted in red, "50% longer life*" was the first thing my eye was drawn to. Then I immediately looked to see the brand, which was GE, to see whether this brand has credibility due to its performance in electrical supplies. Thus when I read the explanation inferred by the *, the numbers that were shown to prove that GE's Long Life white bulbs were 50% more efficient than regular soft white light bulbs, I thought the explanation was true. GE's had 1125 hours of efficiency whereas the regular ones had 750 hours, and the number of lumens( the measure of how bight it is) were fairly close. They use mathematics to prove their claim that their bulbs lasted longer to try to persuade you to buy their product(act). But as a skeptical consumer I did the mathematics and 50 percent of 750 hours was 355 . And 1125 hours is not 355 more hours than 750, 1105 is. Yes, the numbers are close so did they just round the number up to make it a solid even number or did they use a multiple of tests and that number was the median? Should I trust this product, or buy it again?

2 comments:

Sara V said...

That definitely helps to prove the argument that everything is argument! It's really interesting to see that the numbers were not completely accurate after what was discussed in class how you can never completely trust numbers just because they are used. Very interesting!

Elsa Dithmer said...

I like your logo example very much. I never realized how expensive and important lightbulbs are. I recently moved into an apartment and with in the first week one of my lightbulbs died and I had to go get more. There are so many different type now even more with the energy saving ones as well!