Monday, September 29, 2008

Humurous Argument

It may be a relative easy skit to choose, but I choose the SNL skit of the presidential debate in Mississippi to be my example of a humorous argument. The way that each actor accentuated the candidates diction and common ideas was hilarious. They pointed at each candidates overwhelming disadvantages using hyperbole. For example, how McCain kept justifying how he was different from Bush by explaining his predictable voting patterns against some of republican's, especially Bush's, policy, they characterized what he was saying by the actor of John McCain proclaiming that he is an unreliable candidate. The joke of Obama pulling the race card in dealing with North Korea, represented the lack in confidence of Obama being experienced enough to be effective in international diplomacy. This skit is also a very good example of the kind of things I want to implement in my humor piece. I want to create a dialogue between John McCain and Asian leaders as well as Obama's dialogue with them, emphasizing on redundant points the candidates brought up in their debate, and other things I found amusing.
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/presidential-debate/704121/

4 comments:

Michelle J. said...

That video was hilarious. It brought up many of the issues that people have been talking about lately, and it did it in a way that made me laugh. I love videos like this because while they are very exaggerated, they inform you of what others are saying about both candidates.

Courtney A said...

For your humorous argument....
I think you make a very good argument but it was a little hard to see the humor in it. I think its harder to see the humor if you don't have alot of knowledge about the candidates and foreign policy. You're reading it with accents and intonation really helped make it funny and made it enjoyable. While it makes alot of good points and its a very good argument, it might help to make the humor a little more up front.

Eric said...

Mandi,

I like the description of a big room with the two men in the beginning, it put a vivid image in my mind.

I think your content and ideas are good but you should try to incorporate the humor earlier in the dialogue. Also, I would be interested to hear how you would depict Obama in the same dialogue. Overall though, good job.

Lindsay B said...

I enjoyed your humorous argument. You did a good job reading it with your expressions and accents. You also hit the point of McCain's rambling and how he knocks down on Obama. Any suggestions would be to add some more humor in it because some parts were a little slow or hard to follow. Other then that, you did a great job.