Monday, September 1, 2008

Ethos

As I was reading Obama's campaign site and the different policy's he will establish as President, I could not help but notice that he had a number of other website groups he was apart of on the side of the page. The weblink on the top left was Facebook. I clicked on the link, and on the very top of the page I saw a picture of Barack Obama and his candidate for Vice President, Joe Biden, and the phrase, "Our moment is now," above them. Facebook is a very popular site, predominatly used by American college students and teens. Having a facebook profile is displaying that Obama is trying to connect with Americas youth. He is displaying himself as a candidate who knows interests of Americas youth, and participating in it as well. He also uses Ethos to show America's youth his credentials, one of them being a graduate stundent of Harvard Law along with the year he graduated. The slogan also represents his position in that he is a candidate of the "now".

I realized that having a facebook was an important way of campaiging for both presidential candidates, but the facebook application on Mccain's campaign site was not so easily found.
http://www.facebook.com/barackobama?ref=s&refurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fs.php%3Fq%3Dbarack%2Bobama%26init%3Dq

2 comments:

Shannon S said...

Hey Mandi, that's funny you thought of Obama's facebook page to write about. I'm a "fan" of his on facebook (or however they word it) and I have to admit I wish I had thought of that to write about! I agree with you that his page is most definitely a way for him to reach out to America's youth...it worked on me!

Noelle said...

Mandi, from what I've heard, a lot of who Obama is relying on for his election is the votes of the younger generation, so it makes sense that he would have a facebook page to appeal to our peers. He is a good strategist and definitely makes use of appealing to his intended audience. I'm sure it will definitely help him out in the election, as long as the generation remembers to vote that may be the deciding factor.